<
alt : Please download flash-plugin
Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com

Australian flag Wilkes Station / Antarctica Australian flag

Latitude : 66°15 S
Longitude : 110°31 E Logo Google Earth

Time : UTC +8

Wilkes Station was established on the 29th at January 1957 by the United States of America as part of the International Geophysical Year (IGY) program in Antarctica. Under an agreement with the United States, Australia was permitted to use the station stores and supplies that remained, on condition that nothing was removed and the Australia reported annually to the USA on consumption of the stores and supplies. A hand-over ceremony was held on 7th February 1959, Australia used the station until it occupied the new Casey station in 1969.


Credits : Information by Australian Antarctic Division. Pictures by Bob, P. Law, Todor.
Music : Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining - Antarctica / CBS 1990