Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com

UK flag Station Y / Horseshoe Island UK flag

Latitude : 6749 S
Longitude : 6718 W Logo Google Earth

Time : UTC -3

Station Y - Horseshoe Island also known as Marguerite Bay Station which was opened in March 1955 by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey and closed in August 1960 but briefly reoccupied in 1969.

Scientific researches carried out at the station were topographic survey, geology, geophysics and meteorology.

The normal occupancy was 5 to 10 people with mechanic, radio operator, doctor, geologist, meteorologist, general assistants and the activities of the station were transferred to Stonington Island (Station E).

Later the station was designated as Historic Site number 63 by the secretary of the Antarctic Treaty.


Credits : Information by British Antarctic Survey. Pictures by Mehdi Escoffier F5PFP, Alain Bidart and miscellaneous.
Music : The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - 1979 / 1995