Whaling Stations / South Georgia
Latitude : 54°20 S to 54°40 S
Longitude : 36°16 W to 37°90 W
Time : UTC
Seven whaling stations operated under leases granted by the British Governor
of the Falkland Islands.
- Prince Olav Harbour (from 1911–1916 factory ship and small station, land-based
- Leith Harbour (1909–1965)
- Stromness (from 1907 factory ship, land-based station 1913–1931, repair
yard to 1960/1961)
- Husvik (from 1907 factory ship, land-based station 1910–1960, not in operation
(1908–1929, only a rudimentary land base, main operations on
- Ocean Harbour (1909–1920).
With the end of the whaling industry the stations were abandoned.
Credits : Information by
. Pictures by miscellaneous.
Music : Enya - A Day Without Rain - Tempus Vernum / Warner Music 2000